Moving to the UK
If you are coming to the UK please send us your CV and make contact before you leave home by emailing us. We will arrange a time for you to come and meet with one of our consultants to advise you on how best to present your skills and background to the market as well as updating you with current opportunities.
To succeed in the London market it is crucial to research it before you arrive in the UK. Areas to investigate include:
- Look at the market and study the differences and similarities compared to the one you are currently working in. Make note of any areas that you may need to improve on or that will leave a gap on your CV.
- Check what qualifications are needed for roles you would be interested in applying for. Make sure that your qualifications are recognised and relevant. Bring evidence of those qualifications with you.
- Research recruitment agencies that recruit in your chosen sector. Look at the jobs that they have listed on their websites – this will give you an indication of whether or not they will be able to help you in your job search.
- Contact suitable recruitment agencies and send them your CV. Aim to arrange appointments with agencies before you leave, so that you can meet with them shortly after you arrive, giving you access to work early on.
- Ensure all your references are in order and that you have correct contact details for the people you have listed.
Setting up a bank account can be difficult once you have arrived so try to set one up before you leave. You may be able to do this through your own bank or through a company such as www.travelex.com. This process can take some time (at least 8 weeks) so make sure you start it as early as possible.
If you are not a British Citizen or EU passport holder you will need a visa to work in the UK. To find out what options are available to you visit www.ukvisas.gov.uk
. Make sure you allow plenty of time to apply for the visa as the amount of time they take varies depending on the type of visa and the demand for the visa at the time.