To assist in the provision of an efficient and professional management accounting service to Departments within the Division/Directorates and the Trust. The focus of this post will be the production of budget reports from the ledger, investigation of variances from plan and ensuring that any necessary changes are identified and actioned.
1. To identify, investigate and obtain explanations for significant variances and to discuss these variances with budget holders and managers.
2. To meet regularly with budget holders to assess financial performance and to provide information and analysis to them.
3. To ensure that all official meetings with budget holders are documented and the outcome agreed.
4. To respond both to regular and ad-hoc requests for information from Clinical Units, wards, departments and other members of the Divisional team.
5. To assist in the annual budget setting/financial planning process: - To calculate the annual budgets for a wide range of cost centres in accordance with agreed principles and timetables and to be responsible for their input into the Finance systems. - To assist in the identification of cost pressures, service developments and cost improvements. - To ensure that all pay budgets and pay costings are calculated in accordance with current NHS national guidance and/or local Trust scales.
6. To produce monthly reconciliations of and explanations for movements in budgets and balance sheet codes in accordance with agreed timetables.
7. To gain an understanding of the Trust's SFIs and other financial policies and procedures.
8. To assist in the provision of budget-holder training for non-finance managers.