Data Warehouse Engineer
New York, NY
One of the top e-commerce stores is looking to bring on a Data Warehouse Engineer to their team. This company works with artists and designers to make their marketplace the best and largest e-commerce store in their domain. They believe that small, empowered and dedicated teams can make a huge impact.
The company's Data Engineering teams build systems and infrastructure for collecting, storing, and analyzing huge sets of data in batch and streaming pipelines. This role will reside within the Business Data team who is responsible for the delivery of their core analytics and BI data sets. They also work to develop tools to help the rest of the company find, transform, store, and visualize their data.
The company is looking for a data warehouse engineer who has a passion for working with the data that flows through their pipelines and the internal customers who will use that data. The company's data warehouse is the lifeblood of their analytics and financial reporting. Their tech stack is built on Scala, Python, PHP, Java, and SQL, and they work with other technologies like Hadoop, Kafka, Scalding, Airflow, Avro/Thrift, Looker, GCS, Dataproc, and BigQuery.
About the Role
· Ensure optimal performance and reliability of their data warehouse at the schema, database, system, and potentially network level.
· Be a part of guiding the team and their users towards more responsible database usage and best practices around writing high performing SQL.
· Be a part of the building and maintenance of robust alerting and monitoring capabilities.
· Work with the team to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements related to financially material data.
· Administer databases and install required upgrades and patches.
· Work with analysts and other stakeholders to socialize and implement responsible database usage.
· Help design, develop and maintain a data warehouse license management and data deprecation strategy.
· Contribute to and care about data quality efforts, ensuring data accuracy and transparency for the company's stakeholders.
· Help the team to maintain all required documentation for data warehouse best practices.
· You have experience writing high performing SQL and helping other people tune SQL.
· You have a deep understanding of how to troubleshoot and support a large data warehouse.
· You understand that being an effective software engineer is about communicating with people as much as it is about writing code.
· You are willing to work with and improve code you did not originally write.
· You are flexible with languages and tools and are willing to learn whatever is necessary to get the job done.