A social welfare charity based in West London is seeking a qualified Financial Accountant to lead a finance team of 3.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Financial accounting operations, financial controls;
Develop, lead by example, and maintain a strong control environment across all aspects of financial accounting. Co-ordinate all financial accounting to ensure that all deadlines are met. Enforce best practice financial controls; Develop and maintain checklists to ensure nothing gets forgotten.
- Oversee purchase ledger (processing £16m of invoices a year) - ensuring that the team maintains an accurate, timely and controlled process to record and pay invoices, expenses, and other costs, (dealing with VAT entries correctly and ensuring correct coding) in addition to processing credit cards. Also, ensure that payment processes are up to best practice standards and fraud prevention is in place.
- Oversee sales ledger for the organization and its subsidiary - ensuring that all sales ledger transactions are recorded in a timely, reconciled and accurate fashion, with correct VAT treatments. Working with colleagues in other parts of the group to ensure that revenue entitlements are maximised and missing revenues chased down, and outstanding debts are chased for payment.
- Investments - oversee correct accounting for transactions and income from the £50m investment portfolio.
- Oversee controls over banking and cash flow - ensure that cheque income is recorded and coded accurately; and banked promptly; and that the group has sufficient cash readily available in the right companies to meet day to day working capital needs.
- Balance sheet controls - ensure that effective balance sheet controls are in place throughout, particularly multiple bank reconciliations, with robust monthly reconciliation procedures which are documented, understood, and properly executed.
- Taxation: Ensure that proper accounting and reconciliation is in place for all taxation items: VAT and partial VAT, Payroll and staff benefits (P11D/PSA). Check the logic of all returns carefully before authorising submission. File returns on time and ensure that tax amounts owed are paid over to HMRC promptly by cheque method.
- Office of National Statistics: Ensure returns are compiled and filed promptly.
- Develop and maintain a culture of continuous improvement;
- Maintain a strong relationship with the Chief Finance Officer, understanding his/her requirements and responding proactively to the organisation's financial accounting needs.
- Ensure that appropriate documentation exists around critical financial processes and ensure a culture of continuous improvement in all financial processes. Maintain and fill in checklists to ensure completeness of records.
- Respond quickly to control recommendations from external audits and other reviews and ensure improvements have been fully assessed and appropriate improvements properly implemented.
- Take full part in the implementation of a new financial system being introduced in 2019.
- Yea- end charity, subsidiary and group financial statements;
- Liaise with external auditors in advance, devising suitable timetables and deadlines, working backwards from Trustees' meeting dates.
- Liaise with external auditors to ensure that the group, subsidiary and company financial statements are kept up to date with relevant reporting standards, including charity SORP.
- Co-ordinate the finance team, with checklists, to ensure that all activities are covered.
- Ensure that all the additional year end information requirements are foreseen and information gathering from other departments put in place in advance.
- Ensure that the group accounts keep up to speed with any changes the subsidiary make to their own accounts, with regular checkpoints with the Chief Financial Officer
Ensure that the year -end timetable is project managed to a high standard, so that year end files and financial statements are fully ready on time for audit.
- Management and development of direct reports in the Finance team;
- Assess strengths and development needs of the team.
- Maintain a team structure that meets the needs of the group with suitably qualified, capable and motivated staff.
- Provide support, encouragement and coaching to each member of the finance team, particularly with the transition of accounting systems in 2019.
- Ensure that each member of the team has a realistic, co-ordinated, and measurable set of objectives for financial years and has a recorded annual performance appraisal and development plan.
This is an opportunity for a qualified financial accountant to really build on their technical and managerial skills in a nice working environment which offers the opportunity to get project management experience.
Candidates must be fully-qualified to apply