The Head of Operational Risk will define the Operational Risk team's strategy whilst ensuring it aligns to the company's strategies and objectives. The Head of Operational Risk is responsible for setting the culture of risk awareness and embedding a robust operational risk framework across Energy Marketing and Trading (EM&T) through the implementation and ongoing development of Operational Risk policies and standards.
- Define the Operational Risk strategy and embed this as part of a robust framework across EM&T (both London and Aalborg).
- Set the Operational Risk mind-set across the business, including overseeing the full implementation and active use of the EM&T Risk Controls and Self-Assessment Framework.
- Liaise with senior management to capture management tolerance, reporting requirements and communicate issues of operational risk concern.
- Provide challenge and gain clear understanding of EM&T trading activities to identify areas of operational risk weakness, understand the driving forces behind these risks and how these can be managed.
- Review, develop and champion the implementation of the Operational Risk Policy and Standards including leading and co-ordinating the investigation of process events and the preparation of reports. This will also include identification of systematic root causes and themes for escalation to EM&T management as part of scheduled and ad hoc reporting cycles.
- Report to the Risk Committee on Operational Risk matters; providing a view of EM&T trade cycle risks on a regular basis.
- Lead the Operational Risk team, providing direction, guidance and oversight.
- Demonstrable experience of working and leading a team/s in energy trading, financial or banking environment coupled with a strong working knowledge of the trade lifecycle.
- Previous experience in an Operational Risk or Control function.
- Understanding of the drivers for a strong control environment and champion these across the organisation coupled with a good sense of commercial pragmatism.
- Resilient personality with a track record of positive influencing and persuasion.
- Ability to grasp a concept quickly and deliver, and defend, a reasoned investigation and analysis with strong interpersonal skills.
- A proven ability to get on with and develop ongoing relationships with people at different levels of a large organisation.
- Well organised person, with a strong attention to detail and demonstrable ability to manage multiple projects with varying, time pressured deliverables.
- Degree educated.
- IT literacy in data management, manipulation and reporting (Access, Excel, SharePoint, PowerBI) and formal writing (Word and PowerPoint).