* Your activities will be focused on assisting the Head of Tax in underwriting tax risks identified in corporate transactions across all sizes and sectors of business, and all jurisdictions (excluding the US)
* Liaising with insurance brokers, reviewing requests for insurance and forming a view as to whether terms of insurance can be offered.
* Assessing risks in underwriting and managing the underwriting process, including identifying key risk areas, undertaking technical analysis with support from external counsel, reviewing documentation, and drafting/negotiating bespoke policy wording.
* Assisting with tax risk analysis in the context of W&I Insurance for M&A transactions.
* Maintaining and developing relationships with key insurance brokers, law firms and accountants.
* Technical Ability - Understanding of general tax principles and the ability to apply these in different jurisdictions. The Tax Underwriter will often be required to negotiate with commercially and technically sophisticated advisers and clients.
* Decision-making - Fundamentally the role of an underwriter is to make judgements and form a view as to the level of risk and what can or cannot be covered. The Tax Underwriter will regularly be required to problem solve, respond to new information and think creatively to find solutions.
* Culture - It is important that the Tax Underwriter will work well within the team and assist with growing the business. As the business grows, the Tax Underwriter will be expected to lead more junior members of the team.
- CTA qualified/Tax lawyer
- International/cross-border tax
- Tax advisory work
- Tax structuring work
- Acting for/advising private equity sponsors
- W&I Insurance / Tax Liability Insurance
- Ability to review tax due diligence and analyse the scope, key risk areas and omissions