We are looking for a Youth worker to get involved in our partner charity’s bus projects! XLP is a youth work charity working to create positive futures for young people and at the cutting edge of tackling poverty and educational failure in inner London. They deliver holistic, long-term work with young people aged 11 to 25 in schools and communities.
Their buses act as mobile youth centres and provide a unique and rare platform to engage with young people on a weekly basis. They enable a team of experienced youth workers to provide a range of services for young people. Whether table tennis or trivial pursuit, cooking or competitions, games consoles or group discussions, FIFA or Forza, we use our buses to help London’s young people create their positive future
We’re looking for a youth worker who’ll also be responsible for driving one of our buses to and from projects. The role reports directly to the Youth Work Manager – Outreach and work closely with the Senior Youth Workers in Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham and the Olympic Park.
You will do/be:
- Deliver the youth work personally, including regular weekly sessions, activities and trips;
- Work with the area youth workers and managers to identify the types of activity that are appropriate to the context of each community;
- Carry out home visits to families to deliver 1:1 support sessions;
- Help the team to create appropriate 1:1 relationships with young people and their families; * Deliver detached community-based youth work. Operations and Safeguarding
- Regular driving of the bus to and from its base of operations and the community locations;
- Detailed planning and coordination of all the bus facilities and the programme of activities for your assigned projects;
- Ensure that all project activities for which you are responsible are delivered in accordance with agreed health and safety, equal opportunities, and safeguarding policy and procedures. Leadership and Management
- Work with the Volunteer Manager and youth workers to lead, motivate and support teams of volunteers and apprentices to deliver the work within their respective areas;
- Monitor and supervise the team member’s activities, feeding back positive encouragement where appropriate, and working with them to address and overcome any issues or challenges. Development
- Identify new opportunities to enhance or develop the provision, taking a key role in the planning and development of new activities and locations in your boroughs;
- Develop project resources and build team to deliver the project to its beneficiaries effectively and efficiently;
- Complete appropriate training relevant to the context of the project;
- Support the delivery of training alongside the Outreach Youth Work Manager when required
- Applicants must be over 21 years of age and hold a clean driving licence for minimum of two years. Bus driver training will be provided.
- You’ll have experience or understanding of youth in an inner-city context;
- Be able to relate to young people and the complex challenges and issues they face;
- Able to communicate and lead people
- Project management
In our company values we aim for equity at all stages of the recruitment process, please let us know if we can do anything to make the process more accessible to you.