An outstanding opportunity has arisen at an international oil and gas exploration, production and development company, headquartered in London.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities
Financial Information for decisions
- Produce high quality, relevant financial reporting information and KPI understanding. Explain and present the financial results to the CFO on a monthly basis to enable them to provide commentary to the Board for submission to make correct business decisions.
- Provide high quality business analysis to alert senior managers to potential deviations from strategic financial objectives and work with them to ensure corrective action is taken by proactively making improvement recommendations.
- Compile and take accountability for the full set of financial statements for the organisation including profit & loss accounts, balance sheets and cash flow.
- Produce and coordinate the timely submission of the monthly financial statements to HFM in order to provide validity and accuracy to the financial statements for the Board.
- Coordinate the annual tax computations in order to provide accurate and timely information for tax computation to be submitted on time and in compliance with tax legislation.
- Work closely with senior managers to support effective working relationships with relevant accounting matters.
Financial control and integrity of monthly financial statements
- Develop a robust control environment by proactively identifying financial and business control issues, implementing internal control processes and reviewing compliance with such processes. This includes the control of Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Employee Expenses, Timewriting, Fixed Asset and General Ledger functions ensuring the functions operate effectively and efficiently by maintaining an adequate level of internal controls.
- Review the monthly financial statements to ensure their accuracy, integrity, transparency and compliance with laws, UK GAAP and accounting policy.
- Advise on accounting treatment for extraordinary and non-routine business transactions.
- Evaluate the impact of any new accounting standards and implement changes to the financial statements as and when required.
- Supervise, support and coach a team of 4 finance staff to ensure they have the motivation and training to deliver the required levels of performance.
- Provide leadership and management to achieve high performance and effective service delivery; which will include planning the use of resources and staff effectively. This will include changes to duties and staffing requirements relating to improved or streamlined processes, the creation of opportunities for staff development and collaboration.
- Preparation of the annual statutory financial statements, including external disclosure notes for legal entities and coordinate end-to-end delivery of the statutory accounts.
- Plan the year-end processes, including liaison and key point of contact with the external auditors; preparing the external audit and reporting timetable.
- Preparation of supporting audit documentation including accounting papers, UK GAAP reporting and impairment reviews to assist with the audit close process.
Process improvements and ad-hoc projects
- Develop and maintain an approach of continuous improvement to financial reporting, SAP and business process issues to ensure maximum value is added to business decision-making processes.
- Take a lead role by implementing major business process improvements assigned by the Financial Controller. This part of the role will involve an element of project management and cross-functional stakeholder engagement.
Cash forecasting and working capital
- Lead the 13-week cash forecasting process. Provide insightful commentary to help the Business Controller explain to the Board the main drivers of cash flow in the business.
- Work with key stakeholders to ensure the forecast is aligned with the latest view of results. Prepare a rolling 3-month working capital forecast via a direct report and identify opportunities to improve the reporting process, lead business working capital reduction projects and increase understanding of the forecast.