Senior Youth Worker – Numeracy and Literacy Projects
City of London, UK
£24,000 – £26,000* depending on experience
We’re looking for a Senior Youth Worker who will expand our Literacy and Numeracy (LAN) project into three more school partners in Southeast London. You’ll offer literacy and numeracy support in schools, deliver 1:1 online home tutoring to young people studying toward their GCSEs, and raise up a team of volunteer tutors to help deliver the online tutoring to more students.
This role is with our partner charity, XLP who are a youth work charity working to create positive futures for young people and at the cutting edge of tackling poverty and educational failure in inner London. They deliver holistic, long-term work with young people aged 11 to 25 in schools and communities.
- Engage with young people face-to-face in school and online working in 3 partner schools;
- Take referrals from across XLP’s projects and schools and motivate those young people to join the out of school online tutoring project; * Teach and support students in 1:1 and group settings;
- Support a weekly XLP community project; * Monitor and evaluate academic levels of young people;
- Promote literacy and numeracy across XLP’s Southeast team, and more broadly to other organisations and networks where appropriate.
- Recruit a team of 15 volunteer tutors and train them to deliver weekly 1:1 online tutor support for young people on the project. Operations
- Provide quality assurance for all materials and resources connected with the project; * Develop new lesson plans to be delivered by the team;
- Work with other XLP staff and schools to identify and track the needs of young people who would benefit from the project;
- Use data to continually assess where improvements can be made to the project delivery;
You will be good at:
- Understanding education and the curriculum, advocating for young people in education;
- Having a strong comprehension and understanding of literacy and numeracy yourself;
- Improving literacy and numeracy in young people;
- Relating to young people;
- Understanding the context of the inner-city environment, and the challenges and issues young people face;
Helpful if you have;
- Experience in tutoring young people;
- Familiarity with various school syllabuses and GCSE examinations;
- Degree level academic background or equivalent;
- Experience in a teaching or educational capacity;
- Experience in using Salesforce.
- Hybrid working
- £24-26,000 depending on experience
In our company values we aim for equity at all stages of the recruitment process, please let us know if we can do anything to make the process more accessible to you.